13 Feb 2019
Love is in the air in sunny Poipu! Here are 12 ideas to enjoy Valentine's Day with the one you love on the Southside of The Garden Island. Plus! Find out how you can save 10% off of our already low prices in celebration of Valentine's Day. Get Details!
1. Cuddle up to watch the warm Poipu Sunrise (7:09 am)
Infinitely beautiful and always free! Pull up your lawn chairs or beach blanket and enjoy the picturesque sunrise with your Ku’uipo (Hawaiian for sweetheart; pronounced koo-oo-ee-po).
2. Spend the day at your favorite South Kaua’i beach and watch the magnificent sunset (6:34 pm)
There are many gorgeous beaches along the south shore and literally just minutes away from any Suite Paradise Unit. Our favorites for either sunrise or sunset viewing include: Maha’ulepu, Shipwrecks Beach, Brennecke’s Beach, Poipu Beach Park, Baby Beach, Prince Kuhio Beach, and more. Notably, Makahuena Point, the lithified cliffs of Makawehi Point, and Spouting Horn also offer awesome ocean views.
3. Kaua’i is perfect for stargazing!
Lack of city lights and an unobstructed view is all you need. Every night the sky is filled with an abundance of visible stars. If weather permits and the sky is clear get ready for an amazing display. With these conditions, during the winter months, you are likely to see the southern Milky Way stretching across the nights sky.
4. Take a romantic hike with your Wahine (woman in Hawaiian; pronounced Wa-hee-nay) or Kane (man in Hawaiian; pronounced kuh-nay).
The Maha’ulepu Heritage Trail is highly recommended. The trail stretches down the southern coastline from Keoneloa Bay to Kawailoa Bay featuring many splendid findings along the way. More info about the hike may be found at http://www.hikemahaulepu.org/
Explore the extensive collections of tropical flora and towering trees at National Tropical Botanical Gardens South Shore Visitors Center, 808.332.7324, located right here on the South Shore of Kauai. There are two gardens to choose from, Allerton or McBryde Gardens. There are daily tours offered for either. Check their website, https://ntbg.org, for details. As a bonus, because Valentine’s Day lands on a Thursday this year, there will be a free weekly hula show held at the South Shore Visitors Center between 2:00 pm to 2:45 pm. See the traditional dance by Kauai’s own Halau Ka Lei Mokihana o Leinaala.
5. Cruise the south shore with The Aloha Spirit Kauai Shuttle, 808.651.1945
Take a 45-minute sunset land cruise along the South Shore aboard The Aloha Spirit Kauai Shuttle. If you are lucky enough (and they choose to be visible) whales can sometimes be seen during the tour as Valentine’s Day occurs during Whale Season in Hawaii. Choose to continue your Valentine’s Day date with dinner at any of the great restaurants in Poipu. Doug from The Aloha Spirit Shuttle says his top restaurant requests are: Keoki’s Paradise, The Beach House, Merriman’s, and Eating House 1849. He also mentioned that upon request they are available to
be part of a unique proposal, romantic night, or wedding shuttle. Land cruise reservations generally can be made the same day with a phone call, however, early reservations are suggested.
6. “The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach” …We’ve all heard this, right? Well, then let’s talk eatery options.
In the Poipu/Koloa area there are so many choices for every palette. Here are some of our favorites offering up special Love Day menus:
- Eating House 1849, 808.742.5000 – Three courses of delicious fare including a New England Style Clam Chowder Spinach Salad, Filet Mignon & Lobster, and a Matcha Green Tea Souffle
- Red Salt at Ko’a Kea Hotel & Resort, 855.231.4535 - Enjoy a specialty curated Chef's Tasting Menu for Valentine's Day.
- Keoki’s Paradise, 808.742.7534 – Offering a special Valentine’s Day three-course meal for two to include a sweetheart salad, mauka to makai entrée, and a delightful mango lilikoi lotus blossom.
- Tortilla Republic, 808.742.8884 – Lots of love at Tortilla Republic for Valentine’s Day! Join TR Poipu for a 3 course Valentine’s Day Menu (Regular menu also available)
- The Cabana Bar & Grill - plating up a scrumptious 3 Course Valentine’s Day menu from 4pm - 8pm.
- RumFire, 808.742.4786 - Special Valentines Day Menu including
And of course, we wouldn’t forget to include Tidepools at Grand Hyatt Kauai, Plantation Gardens, and The Beach House, as they are well known for really setting a romantic atmosphere for dining experiences.
7. Take your sweetie out for a sweet treat
- Share a Fu Manchu with your boo… No not your fancy mustache -- it’s a handcrafted, all-natural, yummy shave ice offered up by the good people at The Fresh Shave. They are open TUES-SAT (11am - 5pm) and are located at Warehouse 3540 Koloa rd in Lawai.
- Spork your way to each other's hearts with a Hula Pie (cookie crusted ice cream pie) to share at Keoki’s Paradise, 808.742.7534.
8. Looking for a more adventurous v-day date?
- Get dirty with Kauai ATV, 808.742.2734
- Zip down the Kauai’s longest Zipline with Outfitters Kaua’i, 808.742.9667
- Take a Poipu Catamaran Sunset Tour with Captain Andy’s, 808.335.6833
9. Take your honey shopping and shower her or him with gifts...
Poipu Shopping Village, Old Koloa Town, and The Shops at Kukui’ula have a variety of unique shops, boutiques, art galleries, and restaurants. Surely the perfect place to find the perfect gift for your love.
10. Pamper your love with some rest and relaxation at a local spa
- Anara Spa at Grand Hyatt Kauai, 808.742.1234
- The Spa at Koloa Landing, 808.240.6622
- The Spa at Ko’a Kea Hotel & Resort, 877.276.0768
- Hawaiian Rainforest Spa and Salon, 808.742.4038
11. Get her all dolled up at Koloa Town Salon & Day Spa, 808.742.9957
12. Make your Valentine's Day a day to remember!! Give each other what you really want... A romantic Kauai getaway...